The Philadelphia Multiple Myeloma Networking Group’s (PMMNG) mission is to be an ongoing resource for myeloma patients, their families and friends.
Provide hope to the Myeloma community through education, companionship, compassion, and advocacy while working toward a cure.
- Enrich the lives of patients and their families through programs and resources for living with and conquering myeloma
- Foster connections and dialogue among members at all stages of the myeloma journey
- Open pathways for patients seeking treatment by building and sustaining relationships with area medical centers, national myeloma organizations and pharmaceutical companies.
- Provide support for organizations advancing research and financial assistance for myeloma treatment
- Advocate for research and legislation regarding effective treatment and quality of life
Who We Are
The PMMNG was formed in 1995, and is a diverse group of myeloma patients, their caregivers and support persons.
From an original meeting around a kitchen table, the founding members led the organization to find more appropriate meeting space, an experienced group facilitator and many more members.
Phil Falkowitz and his wife, Barbara, along with Marilyn Alexander and her twin sister, Sharon, mobilized efforts to include patient education, political advocacy and fundraising for Myeloma research. Meeting notices spread throughout the Philadelphia region and relationships with local cancer organizations were established.
In 1999, the growing group found its current home at the Ralston House. The membership list grew to upwards of 300 members. At present, the PMMNG is affiliated with the International Myeloma Foundation (IMF). The PMMNG is led by a Steering Committee and is known in the region as a safe haven for families dealing with myeloma.
Certainly we wish there were no need for a group such as ours, but we take comfort from the fact that we have been able to reach and assist so many more people than the small group who met more than 20 years ago.
PMMNG: [email protected]